Once fall is over, it is easy to simply store the flower pots away until spring, but they can be used all year round! Beautiful arrangements of live pine, cedar and fir boughs add a festive touch throughout the whole winter! Decorated with twigs, ornaments, berries and bows, winter planters can change with the seasons too!
How do they stay fresh and for how long?
Live greenery arrangements are best kept outside- swags or wreaths hung on an outside door or pots on your front step. Given a thorough soaking with water will ensure that they freeze and do not lose the moisture that keeps them green. As long as the temperature outside is below freezing branches will stay green!
A centrepiece or any other arrangements that stay inside, should be kept in water (treated as a cut flower bouquet), or misted with water every couple of days.
Spray arrangement with an anti-transpirant such as Wilt-Pruf. It will form a coating to prevent moisture loss.
If an indoor arrangement is for a specific event or date, its best made as close as possible to that date, indoor arrangements are a great alternative to cut flowers, but need to be treated in the same way
Sign up for one of our classes to have our designers show you how to make your own greenery step-by-step! Click here to view our class schedule. **Greenery classes only run from mid-November until December 22**
View the following quick video on how to create your pots start to finish: Container How-To Video
- Choose your container- choose any size, shape, colour or material you fancy!
- Fill your container with either peat moss or floral foam. Both work great because they hold your arrangement upright as well as hold moisture.
- Add height. Start in the middle with your height- if you want height that is. Materials such as dogwood, willow, birch logs, or huck create great height and texture. Make sure to cut your branches to be proportionate to the size of your pot. If you choose not to add height to your arrangement, omit this step.
- Starting now from the outside edges, stick in your greenery, working your way towards the middle. Use multiple types of greenery (cedar, fir, and pine), or just one. Trim braches to the size you like and just stick into the peat or foam. If omitting the last step, continue doing this until the whole pot is filled.
- Add your decorations- whatever you like! Get creative and add old favourites or just start new! Add fancy twigs to the middle for a bit of glitz through the height. Bows and balls for a more traditional look, or pinecones and berries for a natural look- the options are endless!
Feeling like you need some inspiration? Come down and see us! Browse the gift shop for inspiration or talk to one of our designers for advice, we are always more than happy to help.